Monday, May 10, 2004

Flash Bash

Flash is 80 years old today. I always forget her real name. I think it might be something like Arlene but Flash really fits her better. She is one kick ass old lady and I want to be just like her when I get old. I was on my out of Tully O'Reillys when she showed up. I said, "Is it really your birthday?"

"Let me put it this way," she replied in that inimitable Hadley farmer cadence. "I was born on May 10th, 1924." I could hardly leave her in a nearly empty bar after that statement so I ran home to get this photo I took three weeks ago, to give her for a birthday gift and stayed to celebrate her life.

Flash and I have the same work ethic and the same sense of adventure. She's traveled as widely as I have although we went to different places. She told me tonight she took her wheelchair bound husband (when he was alive) to Hawaii, something like seven times. Once she told me about the night they were there and Don Ho brought her on stage. She rocked the house.

Flash is part of my chosen family in this valley. Although we're not blood related, we have the same joie de vive. She's been from Caracas to Alaska to the Panama Canal - I've been from Amsterdam to Sagres to the Manuel Antonio National Beach but we both love Mexico and have been there numerous times. And we both love this crazy valley.

Please send her a celebratory thought for a life a well lived, no matter when you might be reading this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home