Monday, May 24, 2004

Beautiful days in the neighborhood

Big changes in the hood, the gorgeous weather brought everyone out to the stoops and I met a lot of the new neighbors and a lot of my old ones are moving away. I'm sorry to see Jonathan go, he's been great and was incredibly quiet. His tag sale was a great success, perhaps because Steve was out there playing those exquisite licks on his acoustic guitar.

David, was holding court all weekend on his stoop and introduced me to the girls from Holland staying in July's apartment. Why are Dutch people always so beautiful and healthy looking? Marianna is quite young, she can't be more than mid 20s and Teanna is a little older and pregnant. And to debunk the idea that legalization of marijuana will corrupt our youth, I asked them how they felt about the herb. Both of them tried it once, didn't like it but don't think allowing its use is any big deal. As Marianna said, "It's always been there, I don't even think about it."

I also got to meet Mark, the owner of the Buddha truck that I want to get a picture of when I finally get a digital camera, (which I hope to do in the next couple of weeks.) I don't think you can do it justice in a few words but it's very colorful and looks kind of like a rolling Buddhist temple with a really nice Buddha statute for a hood ornament.

Also in this group was our neighborhood celebrity (who knew we even had one), Hugh, who co-owns the new coffee shop around the corner. By the way, to dispel any mistaken notions from the press accounts, these guys are from Great Barrington and not Pittsfield.

Best of all I ran into the Drunk Stuntmen again this weekend. They are my favorite local group and also my favorite kids from my days bartending at the Baystate Hotel. I've come to think of them as part of my chosen family.

I didn't get to see them play last night. They were doing a private bachelor party for Roger's friend. It was treat to see Roger though(my old favorite bartender at City) who came back from Oakland for the wedding. He and Umni are starting a catering business out there and he tells me they are loving the California lifestyle.

I did get to see the Stuntmen play last weekend however. It was a small miracle. I was awake enough at midnight to go out, I remembered they were playing and the gig was remarkably uncrowded so I actually snagged a table right up front. Those boys get better every time I see them and Al's guitar work especially continues to impress and astound. Fabulous gig. How lucky is that?

I was also really glad to see Terry Flood's partner, Tall Girl at the gig, who I always felt especially close to. I came to consider her as kind of a daughter and of course she looked as gorgeous as ever. I was also happy to finally congratulate Steve on his marriage - almost a year after the fact. I have got to get out of the house more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home