Friday, April 30, 2004

The place formerly known as City Cafe

As predicted by Q crewperson Syn, the town was buzzing early on for the first NRBQ show. Tully O'Reillys was jamming when I got there at 6:00. It turns out Sonic Youth is also reuniting tonight on the other side of town at Smith's John Greene Hall so it's likely to get really lively later on. There's already been one huge rush of police and ambulance sirens earlier. The sidewalk crowds should start around midnight I figure. I'll be glad to watch that from safely on the stoop.

I know about the Sonic Youth gig because I had a great conversation with James, a very polite 23 year old guy from Pennsylvania who came up for the concert. It was odd to hear him speak as he did about bands that I've known only as local groups playing at the Baystate Hotel. I liked the kids in them, but not so much their music, so I lost track of them when they left town. I was surprised to hear they had become so famous.

I was glad to see Louise Driscoll, the former owner, on the way out. She was looking especially stunning in white tonight with that fabulous new tan. We made a date for some girl time. I'm looking forward to catching up on the gossip and to her upcoming party.

Meanwhile I'm especially excited to have a made a real bet on the Kentucky Derby. Mark the bartender is going to the OTB so I gave him five bucks to win on "Read the Footnotes." I'm splitting my winnings with Karen of course, since she gave me the tip. I'd forgotten it was Derby time and I loved the name of the horse. I hope he comes in as a long shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home