Sunday, November 02, 2003

THE PARTY'S OVER

You know it was a good one when you don't get home until 9:30am the next day. I cruised into the Rowe Conference Center just at dark. I missed Tom Lesser's presentation, arriving just as the cocktail hour started, but the room was already full of familiar faces.

Long time political activist and performance artist Josh Dostis aka the Waffleman was there, along with Suzy Polluci, Lesley Smith, her friend Marina, Mimi Whitcomb, Barry Crimmins and of course the guest of honor himself Al Giordano. I was also happy to see J-School alumna Helena Klang in the crowd. She tells me she is also blogging but didn't give me the address because she publishes in Portuguese. I wish I was more multi-lingual.

I took the opportunity to explore the meeting house while the others went to dinner. It's an amazing tri-level building, with both vast and intimate spaces and a huge deck. I was hoping to see a residual aurora borealis when the clouds broke up but had to settle for a splendid view of the stars. Not a bad consolation prize. I could see the Pleiades clearly.

The entire building was decorated in art left by former campers and conference attendees. My favorite was the graffitti that covered the walls leading up the stairs. At the very top, at a height that defied possibility was a magnificent panel done by Jacob Spear. I'm told that he was a former instructor at the summer camp they hold there and is a professional acrobat. Maybe he stood on that skinny pipe to paint that panel. No one could say how he did it.

I was planning to leave by 11:00 but the evening's entertainment was so outstanding I stayed. Al opened the evening with a guitar solo and later did a duet with Lesley Smith that evoked the old days of All About Eve at the Baystate Hotel. Lesley also did a solo, accompanyed only by her own bass, that just knocked me out. Her voice has only become more exquisite over the years and her licks were rock solid. She filled the room as if a whole band playing.

Barry Crimmins' set was also a big highlight of the evening. I've always admired his work but this is the only the second time I've seen him live. I was thinking he should be doing a one-man gig on Broadway with his talent and was sorry he only had 20 minutes.

There were many more golden moments, the room was rife with talent. Lesley and Mimi did a beautiful set with heartbreaking harmonies. I hadn't heard Mimi play in many years and she's matured into a fine musician as well.

Josh did a hilarous skit on his own, there was an amusing group skit on the Monster's support group, many more fine singer songwriters including David Rovics and authentic scholar Sandra Alland's companion did a really moving poetry set.

And there was more but I missed some of the acts because I only had eyes for Barry Crimmins. At my self-appointed hour of disappearance I found myself in his room. He's a fascinating man, one of the few I've met who has better stories than I do. We talked until dawn. It was pretty magical. I've got to watch my step with this guy kids, it would be way too easy to develop a serious crush on him.




LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

So I kind of floated home after having been so blessed to get an opportunity to spend that much time with my hero. I still have 65 unread messages in the inbox but I'm not ready to come down off this cloud just yet so I'm sending you to the seemingly tireless Pete Guither at Drug War Rant for your WOSDU update today.

Pete's impeccable eye for the news that matters in this war and his pithy commentary is always on target. I just checked out the posts I missed and the entire week's content is worth reading in full.

Be sure to read his piece on the influence of US drug policy on the regime change in Boliva and his astute remarks on lifetime illicit drug consumption. And while you're at the site, check out his line of merchandise.

Last word goes to the slogan on T-shirt I want to get:




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home