Sunday, April 06, 2003

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

I've been researching today. I'm thinking of ways to focus my own energy and that of the greater anti-prohibition movement. I'm convinced that the key is public education on the actual costs of the drug war and jury nullification. It just needs the right PR. However, as usual, my head is about to explode with information and I still have more questions than answers.

I cruised a lot of *drug* sites when I was promoting Marco's UN appeal and what I see right now is a fractured landscape of great information. There's a lot of competition for funding among the major advocacy groups. The NGO's cooperate well on an international level but nationally they don't present a united presence.

I think it's admirable to get together to change the UN Conventions but the WOD is not going to end until we change the political climate in the US. We need to counter the disinformation more directly. We need to educate the non-consumer about the benefits of anti-prohibition and also create an environment where the real smokers can be safe to come out of the shadows and declare for the cause.

I'm convinced marijuana is the vehicle for the change. Respectable people smoke pot. I smoked a joint at Christmastime with a business owner, a lawyer and a courthouse officer. We were sitting in a very expensive car on a main street during a blizzard. I brought the joint at their request but they won't sign the petitions because it's not respectable to admit it. Not to mention the looming danger of forfeiture.

In any event, not having come up with a brilliant idea to solve the problem, I've been cruising some odd sites. I usually find this oversized format irritating but I found it interesting enough to take a look and obsure enough to pass on.

Global Initiatives for your Liberty, Pleasure, Health and Safety - Another Mild Green Initiative

LIBERTY BILL

I found this on the mild green site. He may be more well known, but he was new to me. I had this thought that the Libertarians could be a help with the jury nullification problem.

mastersgunspeech2.html

excerpt
Today, the criminal justice system no longer supports the concept of enforcing personal responsibility for violent conduct. Instead, it supports the excuse-making industry made up of counselors, drug rehab centers, half-way houses, and the like. Cops know that most criminals blame someone or something else for their own actions: mothers, fathers, wives, girlfriends, the police, drugs and alcohol. Surprisingly, the criminal justice system buys into these excuses and fails to punish people for their criminal behavior.

Let people put whatever they want into their bodies. But demand that any aberrant conduct that hurts or endangers others be judged harshly.

peace unites,
LA Stone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home