Sunday, January 23, 2005

Shivering in the South

It's been so cold here the last couple of days that I feel like I never left New England. It's not quite the same without the snow however and I have to admit that I'm kind of sorry I missed the blizzard. Much I disliked the cold - I loved a big snowstorm. The actual event was beautiful to watch and when the snow ended, walking around for a while in frosty white downtown was always fun. It's not like you were ever far from a warm haven.

I have a whole new perspective on southern driving in bad weather. I used to sit up north and laugh at the videos on television of people sliding around but the ice here is no laughing matter. It's so damp that as soon as the temp goes down the place becomes a skating rink. It's not really bad driving, even in New England the black ice will spin any vehicle off the road.

Meanwhile, my bird watching has been somewhat curtailed with this cold weather. I did see the female of the cardinal pair though. Thanks to Scott for pointing out that they pair for life. I hope they make some babies in the spring. No sign of my gray flycatcher though. He disappeared when the temperature dropped a couple of days ago. The robins however are irrepressible. There's always a few at any time of day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home