Sunday, June 20, 2004

Happy Father's Day

I'm sending my love out to my own "World's Best Dad" today. Unfortunately I won't get to see him for a few weeks but he knows how much I cherish him always. My Dad is not a fancy guy. He's not rich or famous but he can grow anything, tame wild animals and he's the most trustworthy person I've ever known.

Our physical resemblance is not strong but I'm clearly my father's daughter. I inherited his stubborn tenacity, tactless honesty and gruff kindness, not to mention a strong sense of adventure and a superior sense of direction. I'm so lucky to have been raised by this man.

However, as Pete Guither's moving post at Drug War Rant reminds us, not every child enjoys such good fortune, particularly under mandatory minimum sentencing for non-violent drug offenders. There's something wrong with a policy that creates more victims than it protects and today, hundreds of thousands of children will not see their Dads because the ill-advised war on some drugs imprisoned their parent for a victimless crime. My heart -- goes out to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home