Tuesday, August 19, 2003

IT'S ALL RELATIVE

I found myself surprising alert at 11:30 last night and remembered Al Johnson of the Drunk Stuntmen was doing a new solo thing across the street at Harry's. It was like a homecoming. I used to bartend at the music scene bar a year and a half ago. I've barely seen that crowd in about that long but I saw a lot of my favorites last night. All the Stuntmen were there along with Tall Girl, (whose real name is the same as my daughter's). As soon as I walked in the door I was glad to run into really old friends, Mark Bode, (the pink Shiva is his btw), and his lovely wife Molly.

I next found myself eye to eye with Mark Herschler, my kindred soul. Our story is one that can't be told in few enough words tonight, it must suffice to say it was magical to run into him. It has been far too long. As an added bonus, I caught Harry himself, cozying up with Jeannie in the corner and caught up on their exploits as well.

We were all there for the music and Al just knocked me out. It was a musical side of him I had never seen before and he played some guitar that left me breathless.

***********


BURROUGHS * BRIGHTNESS FALLS

Speaking of social events, the Students for Sensible Drug Policy, is holding a fundraiser in Baltimore at The American Visionary Art Museum currently showing the exhibit "High on Life", an exhibit of art about drugs, the drug war, and addiction.

I'd love to get to this one. I know the speakers. Preston Peet drugwar.com, will be there, Shawn Heller, director of SSDP, who immediately responded with help to my email about getting signatures on Marco Cappato's UN appeal, Anthony Papa who I just know of, and Valerie Vande Panne, writer and SSDP board member who I came to know as a friend in Merida. I'm still trying to work out the details, but if you're in the area, I would recommend this event.

Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be served.

Saturday, August 23rd, 2003
7 PM
American Visionary Art Museum
800 Key Highway
Baltimore, Maryland
$50 suggested donation, all proceeds go to Students
for Sensible Drug Policy.

For more information contact Darrell Rogers at
202-293-4414



***************


RIDING THE THIN BLUE LINE

Howard Wooldridge rides his horse, "Misty," down the long road to sensible drug policy. This is the third year that Howard has been riding cross country to carry the message of cops against this war. I believe I met Howard briefly in Merida this winter, at least the hat and the mustache look familiar. I thought at the time he was from Texas. Thanks to Richard Lake over at MAPinc.org, for posting this heartening story, FORMER COP SAYS LEGALIZE DRUGS.

Howard is a sensible guy with a very clear take on the harms of prohibition. He has this to say about the War on Some Drugs: The millions of hours spent on drug enforcement reduce public safety.

"There's a massive crime wave because of the U.S. prohibition of drugs," he said. Drugs are cheaper, stronger and easier to buy than ever before.

Wooldridge is a founding member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, a group of current and retired police officers who support legalizing drugs. He retired from law enforcement in 1994.

In response to those officers who would claim locking up the dealers will solve the problem of drug abuse, he says, "They make big busts and fill up prisons, but does it reduce the supply of drugs on the street? No." "We condemn our children to grow up in a world of blood-sucking drug dealers and their free samples, and since all profits go to criminals and terrorists, where's the upside?"


"If legalized, the price of drugs would drop precipitously," he argues. "With prices slashed, abusers wouldn't have to steal to get money to buy drugs, and a drop in other crimes would occur. "If legalized, cocaine would drop from $45 a gram to $2. Additionally, the $60 billion a year going to drug law enforcement could be reallocated to other areas."

Wooldridge is optimistic about his mission. "I sincerely believe that in eight to 10 years the baby boomers will be fully in control of government and at a minimum will end prohibition on marijuana," he said. "Enough voters will come to believe it's a waste of time for our thin blue line to be looking for pot under some kid's front seat."

"This is a good cause, and I'll work on it until it's solved or until I draw my last breath," he said.

And that's the last word tonight.

******************************

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home